Many users do not have their Windows Vista account setup to require a password when logging on. This usually allows anyone in your home or office full and unrestricted access to everything on the computer. As you can guess, this can often be a real concern but the fix is quite simple.
Creating a Windows Vista account password for the first time is very simple. You're just a few clicks away from setting up a new password for your Windows Vista account.
Follow the easy steps below to create a password for your Windows Vista logon account:
Time Required: Creating a Windows Vista logon password usually takes less than a few minutes
1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.
2. Click on the User Accounts and Family Safety link.
Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the User Accounts icon and proceed to Step 4.
3. Click on the User Accounts link.
4. In the Make changes to your user account area of the User Accounts window, click the Create a password for your account link.
5. In the first two text boxes, enter the password you would like to start using.
Entering the password twice helps to make sure that you typed your password correctly.
6. Click the Create password button to confirm your new password.
7. You can now close the User Accounts window.
8. Now that your Windows Vista account has a password setup, you must use this password to log on to Windows Vista from this point forward.